shygirl

Shygirl: Reading After Midnight

I will read anything I can get my hands on. Seriously.

Nine of Stars: A Wildlands Novel
Laura Bickle
Primal Heat: A Paranormal Shapeshifter Werejaguar Romance (The Shadow Shifters)
A.C. Arthur

Grab Your Tissues, You'll Need Them For This Book

Before I Go - Colleen Oakley

Note: I've put off posting this particular review, not because of the book--which was incredible--but because I now have a better understanding of part of what the main character Daisy went through. I was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer in 2015, about seven months after reading this book so it's bittersweet to see my thoughts on Daisy's journey, now knowing what I do about surgery, treatments, and the emotional toll it takes on those involved. So...I was lucky. Mine was found early and I've been cancer free for almost a year now. But for those of you who have dealt with the disease or have loved ones who have, you know that niggling sense of fear over a recurrence never goes away. And as such, I would be remiss not to forewarn you that this will be one heck of an emotional novel for you to try to get through...

Review:

What an emotional journey we take in this piece of women’s fiction. Before I Go was an honest look into Daisy’s life as she dealt with a devastating diagnosis and tried to find a way to take care of her beloved husband Jack after she was gone.

‘Then I wonder, if I knew it would turn out the same, would I want to do it all over again? This life. This body. This Lots of Cancer. I think of Jack. And I realize I knew the answer before I had fully thought the questions: Yes. I would.’

I’ll admit as I’m writing this review that I’m still a bit of an emotional wreck having just finished reading Daisy and Jack’s story. For anyone who has ever lost someone close to them from this horrible disease or who has been affected by it in any way…this book will be an emotional roller-coaster for you. But I am so glad I read it. Because even though as a reader I knew what the outcome would be for Daisy, there were some extremely touching, beautifully lighthearted moments mixed in with the poignant heartbreaking scenes.